How to Know if Someone Blocked You on Messenger
- To find out if someone has blocked you on Messenger, you must first send them a message.
- If your message isn’t delivered even after the recipient has gone online, you’re probably stuck.
- To tell if your message is undeliverable, it will have an empty circle with a check mark for an icon.
Facebook doesn’t make it easy to find out if someone has blocked you.
They do this for privacy and security reasons, which unfortunately means you won’t get confirmation that someone has blocked your account.
However, it is possible to infer whether you have been blocked based on the behavior of the Messenger app when trying to send a message.
Here’s how you can tell if someone has blocked you on Facebook Messenger on both mobile and desktop.
How to Know if Someone Blocked You on Messenger on Mobile
There are signs you can look for to know that someone has blocked you when you message them on the Messenger app.
1. Open the Messenger app on your mobile device.
2. Press the new chat icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. Find the person you think blocked you in the search box, then tap their name in the search results.
4. Write a simple message – something like “Hi” – in the message box, then tap the send icon on the right.
5. Check the delivery status of the message.
Here is what the delivery statuses mean:
- Empty circle without check mark The message was not sent. This is usually because you don’t have internet access when trying to send a message.
- empty circle with a tick: The message was sent but was not delivered to the recipient.
- Circle filled with a tick: The message has been delivered.
- Icon with the recipient’s profile picture: The message has been read.
As long as the recipient is logged into Facebook, your message should be delivered within a few moments, which means you’ll see the filled-in version of the check mark icon. Of course, it may not be read for a while; your recipient must open Messenger and view the chat thread for this to happen.
If you send a message to someone and the message is not deliveredwhich means only an empty circle with a tick appears, it usually means one of two things:
- The user has not logged in to Facebook.
- The user has blocked you on Messenger.
6. Check the recipient’s Facebook profile. if you see that the recipient has posted on their Facebook page or comments on other people’s posts, that means they are connected to Facebook. If your message is still not delivered, you are probably blocked.
How to Know if Someone Has Blocked You on Messenger on Computer
The signs to look out for that someone has blocked you on Messenger when you’re on desktop are similar to those to look for on mobile. Simply drop a message to the recipient on the desktop version of Messenger, view the delivery status of the message, and then check their Facebook profile for any recent activity.
1. Go to messenger.com in your favorite desktop browser and log in to your Facebook account, if you’re not already logged in.
2. In the left panel, type the name of the person you think blocked you in the search box, then click their name when it appears in the search results.
3. Write a simple message – something like “Hi” – in the message box, then click the send icon on the right.
4. Check message delivery status icon. The first sign that you have been blocked is that the message will remain undelivered. Of course, that could mean the person hasn’t logged into Facebook yet, so you need to look for another sign.
5. Check the recipient’s Facebook profile for recent activity. If your post still hasn’t delivered and they’ve posted or reacted to and commented on other posts, they’ve probably blocked you.