New study shows how fake reviews hurt consumers
BRIGHTON, England, 02 Feb. 28, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — New research from local SEO platform, BrightLocal, reveals that the prominence of fake consumer reviews on popular sites like Google, Amazon and Facebook is significantly damaging trust in these companies and reviews. they host.
The Local Consumer Reviews Survey, an annual report first released in 2010, explores consumer behavior towards online reviews for businesses and the factors that influence their decisions to use a business .
When it comes to big tech, online reviews and consumer opinion, the latest edition finds:
- 62% of respondents believe they have seen at least one fake review in 2021.
- More than half (52%) of consumers believe they have seen fake reviews on Amazon in 2021.
- Half (50%) believe they have seen fake reviews on Google in 2021.
- 37% believe they have seen fake Facebook reviews in 2021.
The presence of fake reviews appears to erode overall trust in reviews on these sites and on the internet in general.
- 70% of consumers say they are “very” or “fairly” suspicious of reviews on Facebook.
- 59% of consumers said they were “very” or “somewhat” suspicious of reviews on Amazon.
- 45% of consumers say they are “very” or “somewhat” suspicious of reviews on Google.
- Just over two-thirds (67%) of consumers say the existence of fake reviews makes them suspicious of online reviews in general.
BrightLocal Chief Content Officer and research author Jamie Pitman said: “It’s clear that fake reviews are playing a role in the loss of trust in some of the world’s biggest tech companies. they read and consider their customer service or purchasing decisions.
“Research finds that more consumers than ever are using reviews to rate local businesses. 98% of consumers viewed local business reviews in 2021, up from 87% in 2020. Clearly, large businesses that host fake to eradicate them and regain consumer confidence, especially during such a long period of uncertainty felt around the world.”
BrightLocal is a specialized local SEO platform that provides affordable reporting tools and services for search marketing agencies, multi-location businesses and SMBs in the US, UK, Canada and Australia. For more information, visit www.brightlocal.com or contact [email protected]
About the Local Consumer Feedback Survey
The Local Consumer Review Survey is based on a representative survey of 1,124 US-based consumers. It was conducted in November 2021. The annual survey explores consumer attitudes and behaviors when viewing online reviews of local businesses.
Publishers are encouraged to use charts and data from the survey, acknowledging BrightLocal.
Kristian Bannister, Director of Product and Marketing
+44 7545 852953
This content was posted through the press release distribution service on Newswire.com.
Featured image for BrightLocal